For Cookie Tart Base
- 2 Packs Doughlicious Cranberry Oat Cookie Dough
- Flour or GF/Flour for dusting
For Apple Filling
- 5 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup water
For Apple Rose Topping
- 4 Medium apples
- 1 Lemon
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
Equipment You Will Need:
- Tart Ring
- Baking Paper
- Baking Beans
- Rolling Pin
- Tin Foil
- Oven mitts
Use Our Ready-to-Bake Vegan Cranberry Cookie Dough to Make a Doughlicious Base for an Apple Rose Tart this Mother's day.
To begin, preheat your oven to 165°C (329°F) with top and bottom heat.
Prepare Your Apple Tart Filling
- Peel and Dice 5 apples into ½ inch cubes
- Place your diced apples into a medium sauce pan
- To the diced apples add, maple syrup, water, cinnamon, cornstarch, salt into a medium saucepan and mix well
- Lower the fire to Medium heat and remove the lid, stir the mixture
- Set a timer for 20 minutes, allow to simmer, remembering to stir the mixture occasionally, prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Once 20 minute timer goes off, Stop cooking your apple filling, and remove the lid.
- Set aside to cool.
Make Your Apple Tart Cookie Base
- Lay one sheet of baking paper onto your baking tray
- Use a small amount of oil and grease the inside of your Tart Ring
- On a Chopping board or clean surface combine 2 packs of cookie dough into one mass of dough
- Flour your surface/chopping board
- Roll out your cookie dough into a circle bigger than your tart ring
- Use the rolling pin to transfer your cookie dough to the tart ring
Pro tips: Be sure to flour your rolling pin and place it at the bottom of your cookie dough, gently rolling upwards to pick up the cookie dough, keep the rolling pin in the air and continue the rolling motion as it picks up the cookie dough, then unfold this onto your tart ring.
- Press the cookie dough into the tart ring, the dough is very forgiving, so do not hesitate to pull apart bits of dough to create an even tart shape
- Scrunch a sheet of baking paper into a ball and then unfold (the creases make the baking paper more flexible)
- Press the crinkled baking paper into your cookie dough, pressing into every surface of the cookie dough
- Fill the crinkled baking paper with beans and bake tart for 15 minutes.
- If your tart base does not look stable, allow to bake for 3 more minutes.
- Carefully remove Your Tart base from oven, and then remove baking beans.
Create your Apple Tart Apple Rose Petals
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into a large bowl with ¼ cup sugar.
- Place your apple (do not peel, we want the colour) onto a chopping board, with the apple standing upright.
- Now slice around the core
- Begin by slicing your apples in half.
- Continue with 2 more diagonal cuts around the core, creating 3-4 chunks of apple.
- Now slice half moon apple pieces (the rose petals)
- To do this, place your apple flat side down, with the skin facing upwards.
- Slice a thin piece of apple off the edge, this is our “sacrifice” piece to ensure the rest of your pieces will be straight and thin.
- Keep cutting along the apple, creating half moon shapes, repeat until finished.
- Place your apples petals into the lemon juice. mixture, gently tossing to cover the apple pieces to prevent them from browning. (careful not to break your apple pieces)
- Repeat until all the apples are sliced.
- Set aside, these will begin to soften and make assembly easier.
Assemble Your Apple Tart
- Add all of your cooled apple filling into the tart and smoothen until the surface looks even.
- Create the apple rose pattern by placing the apple half-moons from outside of the tart, working you way towards the centre in a circular pattern.
- The petals will start overlapping the more you work your way into the centre of the tart.
- Save the thinnest apple pieces for the centre of the tart, as they will bend the best to create the rose “heart”.
- Make the rose ‘heart’ by rolling a piece of apple into a cigar shape, then add another piece of apple to create layers of rolled apples.
- Place this thick roll of apple into the centre of the tart to create the rose “heart’.
- Fill any gaps with more apple petals, the more compact the better, as apples shrink when baked.
- Top with a few pieces of butter and sprinkle sugar.
- Remove the tart ring.
Bake your Apple Tart & Enjoy!
- Bake your Apple Tart with all ingredients combined for 18 minutes.
- Snap a photo and tag @Doughlicious_dough, then SERVE AND ENJOY!