1 kg frozen pitted cherries
1/2 cup (110g) brown sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
Pinch of salt
50ml lemon juice (one lemon)
Vanilla ice cream for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan) Gas Mark 4.
2. Defrost and rinse the cherries, drain all the excess liquids.
3. In a large bowl, add the cherries with sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, cornstarch, pinch of salt and lemon juice.
4. Pour cherry mixture into 27x18cm (7x10in) baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile remove the cookie dough from the fridge and let it rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.
6. Cut the dough balls in halves and roll each halve to form smaller balls, then gently press them with a spatula.
7. Remove the cherries from the oven, reduce the temperature to 160ºC (140ºC fan) Gas 3.
8. Evenly arrange the cookie dough over the cherry filling. Set in the oven and bake for extra 15 minutes or until the cookie dough is ready and the juice from the cherries is bubbling.
9. Serve immediately or let it cool and serve later, it tastes great with vanilla ice cream or custard.